Historical attractions


A UNESCO monument – the former orthodox church of Saint James, son of Alpheus (presently, it is a Latin church) in Powroźnik is the most magnificent monument in Muszyna. It is the oldest wooden orthodox church in the Polish Carpathians, which was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List in 2013. As a result of flood hazards, it was moved to its current location and partly rebuilt in 1814. The former presbytery (currently the sacristy) has one of the most valuable and most complex orthodox church wall paintings from the 17th century. The building is on the Małopolska Wooden Architecture Route.
Location: Powroźnik
Sightseeing: in groups (min. 8 persons) after setting a date by telephone: 694 292 927

The orthodox church of Saint Michael Archangel (presently, it is a Latin church) was built in 1863. Rococo-Classicist iconostasis from the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries with icons painted in the late 19th century by the Bogdański brothers, and the Epitaphios painted on canvas may be found in this monument. The building is on the Małopolska Wooden Architecture Route.
Location: Dubne
Sightseeing: before or after the mass

The orthodox church of Saint Dmitri (presently, it is a Latin church) was built in 1861. The first church was moved from Leluchów to the Slovak Lukov-Venecia village in 1708. Rococo-Classicist iconostasis from the 19th century with icons painted by Victorian Zomph , an artist from Bardejov, may be found in this monument. The building is on the Małopolska Wooden Architecture Route.
Location: Leluchów
Sightseeing: before or after the mass on Sunday

The orthodox church of Saints Cosmas and Damian (presently, it is a Latin church) was built in 1792. It has a complete iconostasis from the 18th century and murals from 1936 which presents scenes of the Resurrection (dome of the nave) and the Annunciation (women’s gallery ceiling). The building is on the Małopolska Wooden Architecture Route.
Location: Wojkowa
Sightseeing: before or after the mass

The Orthodox Church of St. Dmitri (presently, it is a Latin church) was built in 1841, as a result of the expansion of an old church from the 17th century. Furnishing of the church comes from the 18th and 19th centuries. The polychrome which depicts the baptism of Rus in 988 is an interesting work of art. The building is on the Małopolska Wooden Architecture Route.
Location: Szczawnik
Sightseeing: before or after the mass

The Orthodox Church of Saint Lucas (presently, it is a Latin church) was built in 1837 r. There are a Baroque iconostasis from18th century, which deviates from the typical layout of icons (Deesis set in stepped manner), and a polychrome from 1861. The building is on the Małopolska Wooden Architecture Route.
Location: Jastrzębik
Sightseeing: before or after the mass

Orthodox church of saints Cosmas and Damian (presently, it is a Latin church)  was built in 1813. The old feretories (from the 18th and 19th centuries), a ‘Pieta’ icon from 18th century, as well as, a ‘Lamentation over Christ’ icon from 1700 are valuable elements of the church. The building is on the Małopolska Wooden Architecture Route.
Location: Milik
Sightseeing: before or after the mass

Orthodox church of the Dormition of the Holy Virgin Mary (presently, it is a Latin church) was built in 1864. A "Dormition of the Holy Virgin Mary" icon from 16th century, side altars from the late 18th and 19th centuries and the iconostasis made in 1874 by Victorian Zompha from Bardejov may be found in this church. The building is on the Małopolska Wooden Architecture Route.
Location: Andrzejówka
Sightseeing: before or after the mass

Orthodox church of Saint Dmitri (presently, it is a Latin church) was built in 1872 r. It does not have typical features of the Lemko style. There is a complete iconostasis from the second half of the 19th century in the church. The building is on the Małopolska Wooden Architecture Route.
Location: Złockie
Sightseeing: before or after the mass

Orthodox church of Saint Michael Archangel (presently, it is a Latin church) was built in 1925 r. It represents a type of bricked orthodox church of Boyko style which is unique in Poland. Only a few feretories and icons of the former furnishings have survived.
Location: Żegiestów
Sightseeing: before and after the mass

Ruins of the 14-th century castle are one of the most interesting historic architectural monuments in Muszyna. It is located on the steep hill of Koziejówka mountain range. The castle, which was built in c. 1390 on the lower peak of the range (527 m. AMSL), aimed to defend the border and trade routes. Furthermore it used to function as a custom house. The fortress was a residence of Cracow bishops until 1474. Then, it was almost completely destroyed by troops of Tomasz Tharaczay from Lipany during the invasion of Poland by Matthias Corvinus, the king of Hungary. Hungarians rebuilt the castle in a Renaissance style. Since then, it had only a guarding functions. The building fell into ruin since the half of the 17th century. Today, ruins of the castle have been a subject of archaeological researches. Some of the archaeological discoveries may be admired in a local museum. The relicts of the castle walls have been recently secured and the tower has been partly rebuilt. It serves now as an excellent viewing point.
Location: Muszyna, the entry on ul. Zazamcze is recommended
Sightseeing: publicly available attraction

Mansion of Muszyna headmen was built at the turn of 18th and 19th centuries. It functioned as a seat of Muszyna headmen who ruled the former ‘Muszyna Country’ on the behalf of Cracow bishops. The building was rebuild at the beginning of 20th century (eastern extension and veranda). The mansion was restored in 2014-2015. The mansion, together with a guardhouse and an inn, created the so-called mansion complex. Nowadays, the building is the seat of the Cultural Centre.
Location: Muszyna ul. Kity 17
Sightseeing: the interior of the building during open days, phone number 18 471 42 69

Guardhouse is a remnant of the former watch tower. This building was mentioned for the first time in the list of ‘Klucz Muszyński’ from 1732. The existing guardhouse, which is seen nowadays, was built in the place of the former one and comes from the turning of the 18th and 19th centuries. It is a single-storey, bricked and plastered building. The hip roof with an eave and dormers in the attic is covered with red tiles. The porch with a gable roof is seen in front of the building.
Location: Muszyna, ul. Kity 18
Sightseeing: only from the outside, a private property

Inn - the building, which is the seat of regional museum at present, is a reconstruction of 18th century inn which was a part of the mansion complex. It functions also as a tourist information centre. Exhibitions, concerts and lectures are organised in the conference hall.
Location: Muszyna, ul. Krzywa 1
Sightseeing: Tuesday-Saturday 9.00 a.m. - 05.00 p.m., Sunday 01.00 p.m. - 05.00 p.m.
Contact: phone 18 534 91 61, fax. 18 534 91 60, Ten adres pocztowy jest chroniony przed spamowaniem. Aby go zobaczyć, konieczne jest włączenie w przeglądarce obsługi JavaScript., Ten adres pocztowy jest chroniony przed spamowaniem. Aby go zobaczyć, konieczne jest włączenie w przeglądarce obsługi JavaScript.

Market Square – interesting urban layout, which is in the centre of the town, has an irregular shape, designated by the road intersection – the former trade routes. An extensive network of streets is around the market square. They weave and ‘climb’ Malnik mountain on its southern slope. Under the market square, there is a basement of the former town hall, which is going to be uncovered and made available to the tourists. Two historic Chapels of St. John of Nepomuk and St. Florian are at the market square. These buildings which were erected at the turn of 18th and 19th centuries, aimed to protect against floods and fires thanks to their patrons.
Sightseeing: publicly available attraction

The church of Saint Josef  was built in 1676-1728. This parish church is a baroque building of a defence nature what is proven by embrasures which are above the windows. Inside, there is a main altar, dating back to the 1840s, and 9 side altars, which come from the old church and date back to the beginning of 17th century. A baroque baptismal fount, which is supported by two angels, is a valuable monument of this church. It contains a painting of Baptism of Jesus in Jordan. Two gothic statues of Saints Odile and Hedwig of Silesia are precious monuments in the church.
Location: Muszyna, ul. Kościelna
Sightseeing: before or after the mass

ul. Kościelna – a historic middle-class terraced housing on ul. Kościelna deserves a special attention. Generally, it dates back to the turn of  the 19th and 20th centuries. Wooden gates with semi-circular lintels at the front are its characteristic architectural element. Houses at this street are on the Małopolska Wooden Architecture Route. It is likely that there was a quarters of Bar Confederats in 1770 in the house nr 7.
Sightseeing: only from the outside, the private property

Jewish cemetery was created perhaps at the end of the 19th century. There are 80 objects. Most of them have been destroyed. However, there are only single fragments which may be found in the remaining part. On the basis of the cemetery layout and arrangement of the existing Jewish tombstones, it may be assumed that the number of burials until 1939 might have been 300 and more.
Location: Muszyna, ul. Ogrodowa by the yellow trail which leads to Malnik
Sightseeing: it is publicly available